Wednesday, March 14, 2012

strawberry lemonade shortcake {recipe}

This week I celebrated another birthday (the big 3-5, not sure how I got there). Since I'm officially O-L-D, have to work a little harder to keep my figure. Ugh. So unfair. I recently started working out with a trainer and I've been trying to eat better so all that money doesn't go to waste. Enter the low-fat, low-calorie birthday cake. My mother-in-law and I created this when she came to visit this month, and man is it delish! And so easy you won't believe it.

Pin It
This recipe was inspired by the 2-ingredient lemon squares recipe found here that my mother-in-law first found via Pinterest. However, we couldn't find regular lemon pie filling the recipe called for, so we bought lemon creme filling and used that instead. The result wasn't anything like lemon bars, but it was delicious! The creme filling makes a lighter, fluffier cake instead of a dense bar. I little denser and more moist than straight angel food cake, but still pretty light. Add a few strawberries and some fat-free whipping cream and you have a low-fat, low-calorie, lemon-icious spring dessert! If you cut it into 12 servings, it works out to be only 240 calories and less than 1 gram of fat per serving! That's with the strawberries and whipped cream! Next time I think I'll try raspberries for a Raspberry Lemonade Shortcake. . .

Strawberry Lemonade Shortcake
 Ingredients:
*1 can Wilderness or Comstock brand Lemon Creme pie filling
*1 box Angel Food Cake mix (Betty Crocker and Pillsbury both make one)
*Fresh strawberries (or frozen berries thawed would work in a pinch)
*Fat-free whipped cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix cake mix and pie filling together until well blended. Poor into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely. Cut cake into 12 squares. Top each piece with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Only 240 calories and less than 1 gram of fat per serving! Happy birthday to me!
Doesn't it looks scrumptious? Thanks to my mother-in-law Jody for the amazing food "styling!"

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
9 Comments

9 Responses to “strawberry lemonade shortcake {recipe}”

Panda8ngel said...

Do you think it would work with other pie fillings? Lemon is just not my thing. But maybe strawberry or pineapple pie filling?

And do you just add the pie filling? No water, no eggs?

Little Birdie Secrets said...

The thing that makes this cake work this way is the "creme" filling. But the original recipe we were trying called for regular pie filling, so I'm sure any other flavor would work out splendidly!

No water or eggs--just the dry mix and the filling! Can you believe how easy?

Kristi said...

I think this is going to be my Easter dessert this year! I love lemon and strawberries together so this will be perfect!

Janet said...

Happy Birthday, young'un. 35 is not old; if it is, what am I? My #57 is coming in June, my mother-in-law will be 96 in April! Now she is old, LOL. Hope you had a great day and a great year coming up.
Janet
craftythriftydecoratingwifemom.wordpress.com
Christianwifemomcrafter@gmail.com

Kristen said...

Oh yummmm! This looks lovely, and only 240 cals! Oh, yes, please. :)

Marla said...

I make a similar cake using an angel food cake mix and a can of pineapple in its juice. (2 ingredients) Add all the contents of the pineapple to the mix and stir gently until mixed. It tastes like pineapple upside-down cake. Anxious to try your lemonade shortcake... Thanks!

AbbyMaddyDesigns said...

That looks so awesome and light for spring! I'm absolutely craving produce!

Maggie and Sheepie said...

W'eve been making these lemon squares forever. Yummy! The added strawberries and whipped cream sound good.

Betsy said...

This is something different, seen lots of recipes but not this one and will definitely make it.
Your blog pix is so sweet with the two birdies.
Betsy

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs